Sunday 17 January 2016

Samsung Galaxy Note 3-partition and link2sd question



Hello everybody,

This is such a great forum and just wanted to thanks very much for all your help, I have read from other threads but on different phones so, so I still have several questions:

I’m about to partition a 128 gig micro SD card. Most people seem to use smaller size.

I have:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 – SM-N900T - Rooted lollipop version 5.0 with internal 26 gb gigs phone (was KitKat before). I left it to a rooted Lollipop and didn’t do any additional custom ROM since I like the S-note app and the standard TouchWiz launcher. And I actually enjoy the extra bloatware apps since it’s convenient for me.

Bought the latest app Link2SD Plus Version 4.0.11
BusyBox and SuperSU Installed

Bought a Micro SD card 128 GB around April 2015. It doesn’t seem like the newest model now.

Specific brand specs: SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory Card Up To 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A [Newest Version]

Using PC laptop: Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 (able to USB connect with the original Samsung cables, but not the generic cables)

Program to Partition: MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Free-Edition
Questions:

What is the maximum partition size I can make? Is 70-90 gigs okay with this class of micro SD card? Or only 2-10 gigs since it will slow down maybe?

On Page 24 someone else also had a 128 gb and they split to 32 and 20 gb. I’m confused there as well since I thought just partition to one really big is easier and simpler?

I notice there is a Link2SD folder in my external sd card. And inside there is a “Bind” folder, then inside that there is “Data” folder and “obb” folder.

Is it okay to add a new Android/Obb folder inside this partition folder or I should leave those files in the phone memory?

Or better way to ask is: what’s the best way to transfer some new obb and data files/folders to the external card (since I have many apps to test out)? Should I bind the apps with the Link2SD app or can I just transfer them manually with the laptop via USB cable?

Also with this kind of phone, should I try Ext2 first? Or Ext4? I heard different opinions on this part. But it seems to be better on Ext2 since I’m using TouchWiz original system.

(Edit: Also heard about CronMod, but not sure if I should go to that route due to liking the original system format)

P.S. 1 = I have more than 500 apps already in the phone (not games just useful apps) and still want to put around 5-10 more gigs of apps inside my phone micro SD card lol. Battery does gets drained quickly but it's still pretty fine since I’m always charging or have extra charger packs with me. Actually just now now after deleting some power consuming apps which I want to get back later on still; the phone lasts for more than 36 hours surprisingly. Before it lasted only 8-12 hours.

P.S. 2 = Just wanted to let people know: I noticed one strange thing. Before trying to do the partition on the external micro SD card, I just tried transferring/moving parts of the internal apps (.apk files not the data, cache, or .dex files) to the external micro SD card. It worked, but moved only partial of course (average 50% of the file, sometimes 10%, and sometimes even up to 80%). But then a week or couple of days later, when that particular app got updated, I noticed it got transferred back into the internal phone memory and not in the external SD card anymore. This happened to several apps, and I had to keep transferring them back out with Link2SD, and was very inconvenient.

Have this happened to anyone else? I haven’t seen or heard anyone talking about this incident. So I decided to move all the partial apps back into the phone memory first, then try to do the partition instead. And I have to anyways since still not enough internal space. Hopefully when some particular apps get updated, it will stick to the external card after I try the partition method. (Also for some new apps I will disable the update since I don’t need to update some of them).

P.S. 3 = I’m also going to try to do the same methods on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" 64GB (Wi-Fi) with another same Micro SD card 128 GB. Hope these two devices will last for several long years.

Again, thanks for reading this long detailed post (written with my current knowledge), but I didn’t want any confusion when people answer my questions.

Hopefully someone can answer with certainty and everything will go smoothly.

Also the steps I will be following is from this website, which is derived for your original post I believe.

Website title: “Tutorial: A Guide to Link2SD for Android” (can't post link yet since new member)

Download from this link

No comments:

Post a Comment